Labels

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Boys singles: Coppejans wins the French to make Belgium proud Sunday, June 10, 2012


After David Goffin, the lucky loser who made it through to the fourth round of the men’s singles, it was the turn of  Kimmer Coppejans to make Belgium proud on Sunday when he crushed Canadian Filip Peliwo 6-1, 6-3 to win the boys' singles title.

Coppejans kept his cool in the first set, hitting a series of double-handed backhands down-the-line and crosscourt forehand winners to clinch it 6-1 in just 25 minutes. The second set was a little trickier for the 18-year-old, who had to save three break points before seeing out the win.
"I'll move on to Wimbledon as a champion! That will give me confidence," said Coppejans. "People are going to start to recognise me I guess, but this win doesn't change anything for me. I’m just going to keep on working."

Juniors Singles Champion
Coppejans

Admirable sentiments indeed, and these, allied to the undeniable talent of the new French Open champion should make Coppejans a force to be reckoned with in years to come.

This news brought to you by "Sports Zone" from http://www.rolandgarros.com

No comments:

Post a Comment